This is not the most successful or fabulous lens, but I’ve decided that sharing less-successful lenses may help readers, too! It is third tier.
What This Lens is About
My ’04 Toyota Prius. I share details like honest-to-gosh mileage, how it feels to drive a hybrid car. (At the time, hybrid cars were still relatively rare.) I wrote a funny list: “You May Be a Hybrid Car Addict If…”
- Real honest-to-gosh mileage: About 40-42 mpg.
- Tank is about 10 gallons, and I usually go about 370-400 miles on it.
- Handling and pickup comparable to a well-maintained Corolla or Camry. Switch between electric and gas feels like changing gears in automatic transmission…
Why I Made This Lens
I think I started with this one to familiarize myself with Squidoo before launching my Squidoo magnum opus. Also, this is one of my few lenses that actually tries to sell something: a cute “Yes, I love my hybrid car” t-shirt / tote bag / bumper sticker design, and another one I added later, “My Hybrid Kicks Gas.”
Things I Learned Making This Lens
- How to use Squidoo
- How to add a Cafepress module
- To promote a shop, write an article on a related topic
- Adding funny lists holds reader interest
- Use a catchy title that also includes a keyword
- I promoted the lens by joining some hybrid car enthusiast boards and adding the link in my sig.
Things I DIDN’T Learn Making This Lens
- Introduction should be brief and target keywords.
- Include graphics of any design you’re selling!
- Stay focused on topic (I’ve had to tighten it up a lot)
- Use keyword research and SEO to pick a search phrase (I just guessed what people might search for)
- Use keywords in the URL as well as the page title.
Lens Stats and Milestones
As of today: Lensrank #16,168, 34 ratings, 13 favorites, 1556 lifetime visitors.
Best lensrank achieved: #290. Lifetime earnings: $41.59 + some sales of designs.